maanantai 13. syyskuuta 2010

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Boss?

Today I did a training course, provided by work, about Influencing Skills. I didn’t become a master of manipulator, as you might guess, but instead I did learn how to communicate effectively with different types of people. And hopefully learned what in my style of communication may confuse or annoy people (waving those hands around, get too passionate about things and making up my own procedures to reach the common goals).
In the end of the day we had a look at case studies, fictional, of course. One of them being a case of a highflying negotiator, making a lot of money for the company, closing deals, but failing to communicate with rest of the staff. Sound familiar? I thought so.


We all know these super achievers with zero emotional intelligence. They don’t like to be told what to do. To get them do what you want, you should get them to believe it was all their idea in the first place. You should give them options and let them decide.


Except that I don’t think that is right. I don’t think we need to give in to these egoistical rhinos who don’t care whose feelings they hurt and whose dreams they destroy on their way to another success. Who make workplace unbearable for a dozen of people just so they can get better results.


It’s not rocket science to treat people with respect. I think that rather than understanding their despotic manners, companies should offer them treatment, like they do to alcoholics. When they have reached a sufficient level of personal development, they could be released back to the society, even work environment. Reformed. Humanbeings.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti